Pelican School Family Newsletter / January 2015
PBIS Pelican Parent Survey question
How are parents informed of their child’s behavior?
- Mya Krouze (grade 3), "The monthly Rainbow Calendar for behavior goes home in the Pelican folder everyday."
- Oscar Hanson (grade 3), "Teachers sometimes write notes to parents in the assignment notebook. "
- Students who receive a major red get a call from the principal the same day it occurred.
- New this year are Pawsitive Post Cards. The goal is to have every child at Pelican receive one good news post-card a year.
- Students are typically proud to report what color they ended their day on the rainbow chart.
Thank you parents for all the donations to the school store.
Attendance Tips for Parents
According to the U.S. Department of Edu-cation, when your child misses even one day of school, it takes TWO days just to catch up.
Smarter Balanced Assessment Renamed the Badger Exam
All Pelican third graders will be taking the Badger Exams . The Badger exams are replacing the WKCE tests. The testing will take place April 6-17, 2015. This series of tests are complet-ed on the computer and are a more rigorous assessment based on the Common Core State Standards. Students will answer questions in both language arts and math. The practice tests will help students prepare for the Badger Exams. Parents, the practice tests are availa-ble at http://oea.dpi.wi.gov/assessment/Smarter/sampleitems .
A New Plan for Holiday Music Performances
Parents, we have a temporary fix for the 2015 spring music concerts. Each grade level will have their own performance . The concerts will all take place in one day in the Pelican gym.
The permanent solution is that next year all elementary holiday music performances will take place at the Rhinelander High School. This will allow plenty of seating and parking.
Summer School Packets will be sent home next month.
Summer School dates : June 15-July10